Tour d'Orange, Saturday, August 24, 2019 - Hillsborough, NC
- Location; The Visitor's Center, Hillsborough
- Next to the Court House, 106 Margaret Lane grass area
- Mass start at 8:00 am and ends at 4:00 pm
- Routes; 28.1, 35, 60.8 miles and 103 miles
- Parking in the city parking deck is free next to Weaver Street Market, about a block and a half away
- Registration on active.com, where you can select a blue or black cotton tshirt for $5 if XL or smaller or $7 for a XXL.
- Last day to order a shirt is 7/25/19.
- Maple View Farms ice cream after the ride! Yum
Cycle the rural country–side and farms of Orange, Chatham and Alamance Counties.
People love the area, it is beautiful and full of rolling hills.
Benefits the National Foundation for Transplants and the MS Society of the Greater Carolinas.
Location is approximately 7.75 miles from I-40 via exit 261.
Many of you know someone with MS or have MS, but do you know someone who needs an organ transplant. Several years ago, I saw a news clip on a family raising money through a bake sale to fund their dad's heart trantsplant. Glen is the dad and still does not have the money for a heart transplant. He needs to raise $30,000 and anti-rejection medicine costs about $20,000/year. His wife and daughter have helped out with Tour d Orange and value your support! If you donate $50 directly to his account via credit card or check and send a receipt to email@example.com, you can ride for free. You can also use it as a tax write-off. Or send me a check made out to the National Foundation for Tranplants. link to transplants webpage
Registration is on www.active.com.
- Fee schedule; $20 postmarked by 6/15, $25 thru 8/12, $35 8/13-8/21, 8/22-8/24 $55. No cards on site, instead sign up on active and show receipt.
- Last day to order a shirt is 7/25/19.
- Print out the Adult Registration form, just the last page. Make checks out to the Tarwheels MS Team.
Rain or shine. No refunds. Good causes.
Rest Stops, SAG Support and Bike Mechanics
- We will have Dunkin Donuts muffins, donuts and coffee at the start! Quanities Limited
- SAG support provided by Local Volunteers. Thank all the volunteers! Many are receiving MS Credit for the New Bern Ride.
- Roads marked and with signs where possible (sometimes removed).
- Rest stops will have fruit, likely pineapple (great in the past), peanut butter sandwiches, cookies, chips and pickles.
- Early Packet Pickup at REI Southpointe from 4pm-7pm, Wednesday, August 21.
- Bike mechanic at the Visitors Center Headquarters and in Saxapahaw at the 47 mile rest stop for the 60 and century cyclists and on the second sweep for century riders through this rest stop.
- Rest Stops
- Rest Stop 1 at mile 16
- Rest Stop 2 at 28.2 miles, the Visitors Center Headquarters
- Rest Stop 3 47 miles for century, 37 miles for 60 mile route Saxapahaw
- Rest Stop 4 Century Riders, Marathon Mart, mile 70
- Rest Stop 5 Century Riders, Saxapahaw, mile 80
- Rest Stop 6 Century Riders, mile 90 which will be mile 50 for the 61 mile route
- Cue sheets available the day of. Will also be posted on this website. RWGPS will be available as well.
- Proposed Routes
After you go under the railroad trestle, all rides will go to Ben Johnston Rd. up through the Hgwy 70 Connector and up Mt. Willen Rd. to Chestnut Rd. and through Efland to make a loop around Hillsborough. There will be a rest stop at about mle 16.
- 30 mile riders. New this year, those wishing only to do 28.1 miles can stop, while those seeking a little more can take another loop and finish with 35 miles (only for those seeking to extend the 28.1 mile loop to 35, not for 61 or century cyclists.)
- The 60 mile route will deviate from the others on Chestnut Ridge Rd., the 60m route will turn right onto Holmes Rd., and the others continue straight. All continue onto Mt Willing Rd. and faster century riders might catch the 60 mile route. Century and 28 mile routes stay on Chestnut Ridge until Buckhorn Rd. where you make a right turn.
- (Post Rest Stop at the Visitors Center) The 61 and century ride will then go up Dimmocks Mill Rd. up a long hill. Someone will be standing at this intersection to make sure you make this left turn. For most of you it will be more than an hour into your ride.
- The 61 mile route does not cross Highway 87 as in years past. It will backtrack. So once you reach the Saxapahaw rest stop, you will go back down Saxapahaw Bethelehem Church Rd. and turn left onto Mineral Springs Rd.
- Century Riders will have a route modified from 2018. Do a loop beyond Saxapahaw over the Haw River and down Stockard Rd. Rest Stop at the Marathon Mart.
- Those doing the century should be sure to note there is a road obstacle on Stockard Rd. There is a bump at the bottom of a hill. It will be marked at the top of the hill, upcoming bump and at the spot. Do not use your tri bars while riding on Stockard Rd. especially on the downhill. It is after the Saxapahaw rest stop after you cross Highway 87 (a very busy road be careful) (a police officer will be present)
At the start at the Visitors Center there are a few flush toilets. Or shortly after the start flush toilets at Gold Park, a park on the left side of the road after you go through the railroad trestle heading out of town (just after the start).
First rest stop is at mile 16 for all rides. Next rest stop is at mile 35.
The rest stop for the two longer rides features Saxapahaws General Store with indoor facilities and a coffee shop just up the road with a balcony overlooking the Haw River. The General Store is a good place to stop for lunch! Great cookies here too. Lots of cold drinks to choose from inside the store. Both are favorite places to stop on Tarwheel bike rides.
Email me if you want to VOLUNTEER to earn fundraising dollars for New Bernís MS Bike Ride, firstname.lastname@example.org. Rest Stops ($150 MS Credit), photography, sweeps and loading the van before the event earn MS credit. Registration and parking earn $50 MS credit, or ride free if you do not want MS credit.
Please sign up by 7/25 to get your tshirt size and color, after 7/25 the selection may be limited.
Rest stop volunteers pick up gear Friday, August 23 5:30 - 6:30 pm
Registration help from 6:00-8:00 am
Parking help from 6:00-8:00 am
Load Van, Friday, August 23 6:30 -8:30 pm. ($150)
Photograhers needed (MS credit $100).
Do not miss Bikefest! Saturday, August 10. One of the best bike rides in the area, with up to 850 riders! (Bikefest is its own trademark and does not share identity with Tour d'Orange, 98% of the roads used are different.) Carolina Tarwheels.org. https://www.bikereg.com/bikefest